Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Smoke This

My husband held the palm sized device in his hand. It was a temperature gauge that bluetooths (that's a verb now, bluetooths) to his iPhone from his new smoker. Why couldn't I, he mused, bluetooth to some other device (for example, an Android phone) which would upload that to the web, download that data to my iPhone which was bluetoothed to my Pebble watch. In this way, he could monitor the temperature of the day-long smoking of meat from his desk at work, and presumably, issue orders to those at home (meaning moi) if coals burned too cool or too brightly.

His new toy
See what happens when you are exposed to Nightscout? It makes you think that you can fly data around the world and control your smoker from your desk or presumably, anywhere. And here's the thing: it could be done. Nightscout taught me that. It could be done, but I'd have to write the code for it. It might just be easier to go check the temperature myself.

Nightscout is a group of amazing people, gathered on Facebook with the motto, "We Are Not Waiting". Started before continuous glucose monitors had the ability to send blood glucose reading into the cloud, parents of children with Type 1 Diabetes got together and for no cost, shared code, websites, directions, time, energy, and support to many other parents trying to find a way to keep their children with T1D safe while sleeping or away from them. I have to say my association with them has been one of the most amazing and empowering experiences of my life.

Back to the smoker, husband has been very dedicated to his new project, even rising in the wee hours of the morning to check the coals. One night, William was having a low and I wandered downstairs to get some juice for him. I was startled when he sat up on the couch! So he can get up in the middle of the night in pursuit of the perfect brisket! We have been treated for about a week and a half to the most marvelous meats, but we are all needing a bit of rest from eating.

Diabetes notes:
Our first G5 continuous glucose monitor transmitter malfunctioned only one month into usage. It should last three months. Dexcom tech support was excellent, replacing the transmitters and the three sensors that it took for me to realize the transmitter was failing. Large gaps in data started occurring, and often at night which was the most troubling. We are back on board with a new transmitter and it seems to be going well.  To be honest, I miss the Nightscout data and rig, but my son, not at all. He much prefers just carrying around his iPhone. I still use Nightscout for my Pebble watch, displaying his BG on my wrist.

Homestead notes:
Perhaps I should get some stones, dam up the creek and make a pond? There has been enough rain for it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts